FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI). The government has mandated the use of FASTag on every new vehicle. It employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it. All activated FASTags are prepaid rechargeable tags for toll collection that allow automatic payment deduction from the FASTag, They are normally affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle. As soon as the vehicle crosses the toll plaza, the toll fee will get deducted from the bank account/prepaid wallet linked to the FASTag.
There are two different types of FASTags, NHAI tags and bank-specific tags. Bank-specific FASTags are provided by 22 banks ( Partnered with NPCI ) at designated branches. If the FASTag is already linked with your bank account, then there is no need to load money separately in a prepaid wallet. FASTags are available on various platforms such as:
- E- commerce platform such as Amazon
- Paytm Wallet, Banks
- NHAI FASTag at Toll Plaza
Major benefits of FASTag:
- With the help of a FASTag, you will not have to stop your vehicle at toll plazas to pay the toll.
- No stoppage of vehicle means lower wastage of fuel
- SMS alerts
- 5 years validity
- https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/save/fastag-mandatory-for-all- vehiclesfrom-dec-1-heres-how-to-buy-activate-it/articleshow/72126974.cms
Graphical Representation of the Process: